Chef Lisa Pucci Delgado
Mexican Style Rice (Small batch) (2 cups)
Prep Time: 5 min Cooking Time: 20 min
Stuffed Pepper Jack-O-Lanterns ( 6 Bell Peppers)
Prep Time: 45 min Cooking Time: 30 min
Mexican Style Rice
1. Heat a small pot on medium heat and drizzle in a tablespoon of olive oil. Add in the chopped garlic, dice onion, and diced bell pepper. Cook for 3-4 minutes.
2. Next, add ½ cup of rice and toast for 2-3 minutes. Then, add 1 diced roma tomato and cook for 1 minute.
3. Add 1 cup of water, ½ tsp salt, and ¼ tsp black pepper to the pot and stir. Cover with a lid and reduce the heat to low. Simmer for 15-20 minutes or until all the water is absorbed and the rice is fully cooked.
4. Add in 1 tablespoon of chopped cilantro and fluff with a fork.
1. Rinse and dry the bell peppers. Carefully cut out the tops. Use a spoon to remove the seeds and membranes from the inside of the bell peppers. Use a knife to remove the seeds from the tops as well. Carefully cut out the jack-o-lantern faces on each bell pepper.
2. Light up 1 chimney of B&B Hickory Lump charcoal. When the charcoal is ready, pour it on one side of the grill to create a 2-zone fire for indirect and direct heating zones.
3. Season the chicken thighs and place them over indirect heat and cook for 12-13 minutes. Place the bell peppers over indirect heat as well and cook for 5-8 minutes if desired for a more tender bell pepper in the end.
4. After 12-13 minutes, move the chicken over the direct heat along with 2 ears of corn. Cook for a couple minutes to get a nice char on the chicken and corn, making sure the chicken has reached an internal temperature of 165°F.
5. Dice the chicken thighs and cut the corn off the cobs.
6. Assemble the stuffed peppers. Start by adding some rice, about ¼ to 1/3 of a cup of rice. Next, add a layer of black beans as well as some grilled corn. Then, add some diced grilled chicken and top with shredded Monterrey jack cheese.
7. Place the stuffed peppers back onto the indirect side of the grill and cover with the lid. Let them cook for about 10 minutes. Serve by placing the tops of the bell peppers back on to look like a jack-o-lantern.